Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fear.

"Fear is a question. What are you afraid of and why? Our fears are a treasure house of self knowledge if we explore them," Marilyn French


I think I've mentioned this before but I have some fears sometimes about what happens after I've lost all the weight I want to lose.

Will I be more beautiful? Will I be more liked? Will I be more successful? Will I...Will I...Will I...

The fear that nothing will change in my life is an honest one. I don't, however, think it's a valid one. The weight loss journey I am undertaking has already changed some of the ways I look at things I do. Everyone says it's a lifestyle change - and it is. I make better choices throughout the day about what I'm going to eat - I plan for when I know I'll be eating out - I take the stairs instead of the elevator.

One of my biggest fears though is how my friends and people around me will treat me. Will they treat me better and nicer and be kinder and more friendly when I'm thinner?? And why will they? It's not right, right? I hope to pretty much be the same person - only I know I will be a bit of a changed person. How can someone not change after losing weight. The success of setting a goal in motion and then succeeding at that goal has to change a person. I only can hope that my friends and family will show me just as much love and support 100 lbs from now as they do on this very day.

(this is a 2:00 a.m. run after a fantastic night of not-so-good behaviour)

1 comment:

  1. Of course they will love you and support you no matter what. But they want to see you happy, so when you're happier, they're happier- it's just natural.

    I used to have this fear all the time...but about men. I would always think- will I get more dates when I'm thinner? But I don't want to go out with a guy that only likes me when I'm thin! But then I learned something (as I've lost)...they are more attracted to you because YOU. ARE. MORE. CONFIDENT. You have just succeeded at one of the hardest goals to accomplish. I mean, come on- if this were easy- everyone would've done it. Instead, people will pay thousands of dollars to take the easy way out. You will have so much more confidence in yourself, because you will look great, you will feel great, and you will know you can climb any mountain. And then people just naturally react to your newfound confidence. So they treat you kinder, happier, better. And you treat yourself that way as well. It's the best feeling in the world and you will work hard to keep it.

    Hope that helps!

    D

    ReplyDelete

Speaking without thinking is like shooting without taking aim...I'd love to hear from you - just be nice to each other - and me :)