Thursday, November 1, 2012

Being Me

"Never be afraid to tread the path alone. Know which is your path and follow it wherever it may lead you; do not feel you have to follow in someone else's footsteps,"
Eileen Caddy
 
 
You know what's funny? I've never really felt the need to follow in other people's footsteps.
 
I mean, yes, I want to be accepted as part of the group but even at a young age, I was a bit more of a natural-born leader (maybe being the oldest child has something to do with that) and kinda marched to my own drum-beat.
 
I can remember being in elementary school and swinging on the swings at the park with some chums and the conversation was about who wanted to be part of our 'clique'. That's the first time I ever even realized I was in a 'clique'. I talked to everyone all the time. When I made a mention of this, my friends were quick to tell me that obviously I was part of this group - I often led it. Huh? Me? Ok.
 
I can remember being in high school and a new girlfriend in Grade 10 asking me what to do for lunch one day and as we were deciding she says, I'll let the other girls know that's what you decided so we can all do it. Huh? We're doing what I said? Ok.
 
And to this day, when I'm feeling low about myself, my BFF has on many an occasion reminded me that everyone loves me, my style, my personality and there has never been an occasion where someone says 'oh that Vaia, we can't stand her'. My goddaughter just had her own baby girl and in a quiet moment together before the birth, she says to me how she can only wish that her daughter will turn out to be half the person I am. Huh? Oh my.
 
Now, I write all of this, not to toot my own horn (though it feels good not gonna lie...) but to remind ME that as I embark on my weight loss journey (with a new meal plan in tow) that it is up to me to actually BE the person that everyone thinks I am; that everyone sees I am; that I really am.
 
I will try to avoid sabouteurs (because they're out there) and some of them are in my own mind.
 
I've never really been afraid to tread the path alone. I've just always been able to find and/or attract people to walk it with me.  Maybe I encourage them to follow their own footsteps. Maybe my push to not be afraid of that path makes it that much less lonely. You think?
 
*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speaking without thinking is like shooting without taking aim...I'd love to hear from you - just be nice to each other - and me :)